Sleek, modern and sexy - what contemporary interior design is all about. Sharp edges, geometric design, smooth metallic surfaces, black and chrome elements scattered throughout the house are the very definition of contemporary interiors. Over the years contemporary interiors have gained popularity in modern homes. This design style is functional and minimalist so if you are someone who prefers a fuss-free, hassle-free environment, this interior style is right up your alley. Here’s how you can get a contemporary bedroom in 5 easy steps:
1. Choose your window treatments wisely: Picture your bedroom like this. Sliding doors to let in all that natural light or, in a perfect world, overlooking a magnificently lit up skyline. Choose from cool and crisp white drapes in rich silk fabrics, Roman shades, blinds and shutters. The window treatments you choose can make a room change the look and feel of a room. It can make a room appear bigger or if chosen wrong, can make it look smaller. Pick your window treatments taking the size of the room and the rest of the furniture into consideration.
2. Picking the right color palette: You might think that cool colors are the way to go when decorating a contemporary bedroom and while that’s always a safe bet, don’t be afraid to mix things up a bit. Mix cool neutrals with hot and bold colors like brick red and ochre to make a statement. Additionally dark walls give out a bold, confident vibe. Choose from deep purples, olive greens and rust to truly make your bedroom stand out.
3. A splash of color: Every bedroom needs a splash of color. Even contemporary rooms need color to liven up the space. One of the best ways to do this would be to add pillows! Silk pillow covers to complement the existing décor could work very well in a contemporary bedroom. Our favorite choices for pillow covers for a contemporary bedroom include silk, velvet, suede and leather. The more the better is what we always say!
4. Hardwood floors: Have you always leaned toward tiled floors? Think hardwood floors are too much work? Think again. Hardwood floors add a cozy, romantic touch to a bedroom so if you want your bedroom to be a lovely combination of confident and welcoming, hardwood floors are the way to go. Tossing a shaggy white rug at the foot of the bed makes all the difference.
5. Recessed bedroom lighting: Lighting makes all the difference and no contemporary bedroom is complete without recessed bedroom lighting. These lights can be used to illuminate artwork or picture frames and can also be dimmed to create mood lighting. Recessed lighting helps you create whatever mood you want and is the perfect choice for a contemporary style bedroom.
Get started decorating your contemporary style bedroom and while you’re at it, let The HomeCentric help!