Creating aesthetically pleasing homes begins with developing an understanding of the right bedding styles. While it may take some time to master the art of perfect bedding, a few tips from us will help you gain clarity about the most adored bedroom staple – the euro shams. Once you know everything about euro shams, you can browse our hand-picked range at The HomeCentric and pick the ones that suit your interiors the best.
What are euro shams?
Euro shams (also known as euro pillows) are ornamental square pillows that are placed behind king, queen, or standard pillows on the bed for decorative purposes. Euro shams are meant to cover regular square European pillows with a removable, decorative case. They have a hidden opening in the back that is usually zippered or buttoned for ease of use.
What is the difference between standard shams and euro shams?
Here are a few differences between standard and euro shams –
- Standard shams usually measure 20 x 26 inches and are made for the American-size pillows. On the other hand, European shams are usually 26 x 26 inches and are made for European pillows.
- Standard Shams are rectangular-shaped and look similar to standard pillows. However, European Shams are square-shaped and large.
- Standard Shams have an opening at the back, whereas European shams can be unfastened by the French back or from their sides.
What are the popular shapes and sizes of euro shams?
The most common euro sham sizes are 24 x 24 inches and 26 x 26 inches. They are square in shape and are used for decorative purposes and offer incredible back support.
What are the popular fabrics used for euro shams?
Fabrics can define your décor. You can add a touch of comfort and luxury to your interiors just by playing well with the fabrics. At The HomeCentric, you can find a selection of fine materials for your euro shams. The comfort fabrics include cotton, velvet, and linen, while felt, suede, and leather are an ideal pick for someone looking for luxe options. However, if you prefer a royal setting, satin, jacquard, and silk can be your preferred choice. Linen and cotton are widely preferred for summers. While suede, velvet, leather, and jacquard can blend well with traditional, contemporary, or Scandinavian interiors.
What are the different details, styles and patterns of decorative euro shams?
Our euro shams are pretty versatile when it comes to the variety of details, styles and patterns. From our designer range, you can easily pick the right blend of fabric, style, detail, pattern and color.
If you’re looking for a particular style, we surely have it. From contemporary euro shams to transitional and traditional euro shams, you can pick your euro shams in whatever style you like. To make your décor look inspired by themes, we have Victorian and Asian styles. For homes that demand summertime look, we have the Mediterranean, beach style and tropical euro shams. Other than these styles, we also have eclectic and modern euro shams.
We understand how patterns can play an important part in any home décor. Homes inspired by modern or contemporary styles require more of abstract, geometric, chevrons and striped patterns. For homes that are vintage in style can use damask, oriental, French toile, Moroccan, or solid patterns. You can also experiment with paisley, patchwork, or floral euro shams for bedrooms. We even some designer euro shams adorned with patterns that represent sea creatures, birds, or animals.
Meticulously handcrafted by Indian craftsmen, all our euro shams are also available in interesting details. Our euro shams come with on-trend beads, chic embroidery, classy pearls, modern pintucks, delicate ruffles and glamorous sequins. So, no matter what style, pattern, design, or details you’re looking for, we have something for every home.
What is the popular color palette for euro shams?
Colors reflect your taste and create a specific vibe of the place. However, it is important to follow a theme to create perfect harmony. Here are the popular shades available and how you can choose a color palette for shams:
Available shades: Our euro shams are available in classic soothing colors like beige, white, ivory, or cream. If you like your euro shams to stand out, then you can go for yellow, pink, turquoise, gold, or multicolored options. They are also available in warm shades of brown, black, blue, black, purple, or gray.
Choosing the shades
- If your bedding has a particular pattern, make sure you choose a similar pattern for your shams in a matching tone, or you can also create a palette by keeping the colors constant and playing with the patterns or textures.
- If the pillowcases and other elements of the bedding are in contrasting colors, it will be good to neutralize the space with tones like beige, gray, black, or white. However, if the colors in the existing setting are bland or neutral, a vibrant hue will make the space more lively.
What creates a difference in the price range of euro shams?
The cost of euro shams is directly proportional to the cost of the fabric and its finish. Some fabrics like silk, linen, suede, and so on are more sought after than the others, and similarly, the intricate details and finish of the embroidery or embellishments like beads, sequins, and ruffles add up to the cost.
What are the key points to keep in mind while choosing euro shams for a pillow insert?
Begin by analyzing your requirements. Ask yourself these basic questions –
- Do you need it for back support or as a decorative piece?
- How many do you require?
- What size will fit better?
- How much are you ready to shell out for these?
These basic questions will help you gain clarity on your expectations. Here are the key points that are important:
- Size is universal. So, it’s easy for you to choose from the two options. Pick the one that suits your needs and fits well in your bedding set up.
- Decide on the number of the euro shams you require based on the size of your bed and the available space.
- To choose the right fabric, give weightage to your purpose. If it is exclusively for comfort, opt for fabrics like cotton, linen, or velvet. If you wish to glam up your bedroom, go for fabrics like silk, satin, suede, or leather.
- If you want a decorative piece, you can go for euro shams embellished with beads, embroidery, ruffles, sequins, or pintucks.
- While choosing colors, you can buy at least two shams in brighter hues to make your centerpiece stand out. Or you can coordinate and contrast the color with your existing backdrop.
- While making a purchase, zoom in carefully to inspect the texture and finish of the embellishments.
- Check the aesthetic of the flap covered zipper on the back. See if it offers easy insertion and removal of inserts.
- Hassle-free return and refund policy to protect your interest in case you are not satisfied with your purchase will be helpful.
How to maintain and care for euro shams?
Depending upon the fabric and the work, you can easily care and maintain your euro shams:
- If you have basic euro shams in cotton and solid colors, you can hand wash or rinse them in cold water and dry them in the shade.
- If you have decorative pieces with patterns or embellishments, dry cleaning is a safer choice to make them last longer.
- While ironing the euro shams, keep the temperature low.
- Do not expose them to harsh sunlight for longer durations.
How to arrange euro shams on beds?
There are no rights and wrongs when it comes to arranging euro shams on the bed. However, following a theme makes it more appealing.
- The secret to setting beautiful bedding is the layering. While setting it up, the euro pillows are placed against the headboard and various other pillows of different sizes and shapes are placed in front. You can let the creativity flow by arranging them as you like!
- The easiest way to synchronize is matching the euro shams with the duvet cover and placing them behind the standard pillows with textured fabric. Alternatively, you can use plain euro shams and match the standard pillows with the duvet cover or quilt.
How many euro shams do you need for a king-size bed or queen-size bed?Ideally, one euro sham is required for a single bed, two on a queen-size bed and three on a king-size bed.
Can you sleep on euro shams?Euro shams offer great back support while reading or watching TV. However, they are not recommended for sleeping purposes since they are placed right in front of the headboard and act as an anchor for the rest of your pillow collection. Depending upon the work and fabric, they can also be used as floor pillows or reading pillows. They also protect your bedhead and give an elevated appearance to your bed.
Here is a quick fact: In some European countries, such as Germany and Holland, the 26-inch variants are used as sleeping pillows.
From where can you buy designer euro shams online?
At The HomeCentric, you can find a wide range of decorative euro shams available in the latest designs, colors, styles, details, and patterns that will surely meet your expectations. We offer high-quality, luxurious euro shams that are handcrafted by the skilled artisans in India. You can also customize your orders to fit your choices. We provide separate embellishments with each euro sham for further use.