Now that you are living the high life with your king-sized bed, just go all the way with a good pillow arrangement to match the luxury. There is nothing more royal than extravagant, almost ornamental, sham pillows.
Being the focal point, a bed pulls the entire room together, and its arrangement has to make a statement.
Whether it’s stacking, propping or mixing and matching, there are no rules when it comes to how you place the pillows on a king-size bed. It does, however, help to have a few guidelines and a whole lot of inspiration:
- Size: You’ve got the king-size bed, but this doesn’t necessarily mean you need to go big. Mixing a variety of sizes from standard size pillows, square euros to maybe a couple of king-size pillows will create both interest and balance. Ideally, you need two king-size pillows (36”× 20”) to add heft. If you plan to throw some euros (26” × 26”) on, three won’t be a crowd since any fewer may just drown in the arrangement. Two standard size pillows (26” × 20”) can create an almost Fibonacci effect against your big bed and the occasional lumbar pillow with a bit more glamour can be thrown in too.
- Your sleeping style: Your sleeping style determines the kind of pillows you’ll want in your bed. If you sleep on your back, you’ll need some good support for the neck while some side sleepers even like having something to hug.
- The color palette of your room: You don’t have to be an expert in color theory but make sure that it’s warm against warm and cool against cool. Whatever the palette, you want it to be pleasing to the eye with no clashes.
- The season: A warm palette with shades like claret, copper, gold or burnt orange will be more appreciated in the fall, while cooler shades such as coral, robin’s egg blue, sky blue or silver grey will freshen up the room in the summer.
- Personal taste: At the end of the day, you need to choose the palette, fabrics, embellishments, and designs that appeal to you and make your bed a truly inviting sanctuary to sleep.
Now, with the basics out of the way, here are 3 king-size pillow arrangement ideas that should get you inspired;
The Minimalist Mediterranean
This style is clean, fresh and reminiscent of the simple, romantic aesthetics of southern Europe. The light and warm tones of the Mediterranean can be built with just neutrals and blues. Start off with two king-size sham pillows in neutral or ivory white. Add three square European sham pillows in cool blue shades such as the Navy Blue Seahorse Art Silk Euro sham or the White waters Light blue Art Silk Euro sham. Place two lumbar sham pillows in warm neutral colors in the front to finish off the look.
The Decadent Diva
This style is all about the excess. Think embellishments such as beads, tassels, sequins, and ruffles. Don’t worry, this can be done tastefully if you stick to just one or two colors and add variety just in terms of textures. This style is ideal for a bed with a tall headboard that can accommodate some height and weight. When it comes to sham fabrics, think plush. Satin, velvet, and silk work best, but high-end linen or cotton will also do. For this look, set three king-sized pillows against the headboard. Add two standard pillows in front, followed by two beautifully embellished euro sham pillows. Add two ruffled or sequined lumbar sham pillows to finish.
The Subtle Bohemian
This look appreciates the down to earth bohemian style with its rustic and earthy tones without things getting too tacky with the variety of pillow choices. First, start with a foundation of two or three euro sham pillows along with two primary king-size pillows against the headboard. Add interest with detailed lumbar shams or throws. Try sham pillows with a Peruvian woven look or tassels, it adds to the intensity.
There’s so much to choose from out there and you might feel a bit out of your depth. Just keep the basics of size, sleeping style, color palette and season in mind and you’ll be fine. Go crazy with all the different looks you can try but don’t forget to do a little planning to get just the right amount of king-sized impact in your room!
Standard Sham Vs Euro Sham Vs King Sham