Posted on by Urvi Agrawal
It’s the holiday season and it’s just about my happiest time of the year. Now I’m sure anyone who knows me can agree that I’m constantly looking for excuses to give my home a makeover and well, the holiday season is no exception. If you’re working on a tight budget (it is holiday season after all!) and you’re looking for some inspiration for things you can try at home, here are some of my favorite ideas.
1. Bring the outdoors inside: It is fall after all! And nothing says ‘tis the season to jolly with some fiery red poinsettias. You can get these at just about any nursery at this time of the year and they instantly brighten up just about any space in the house. This isn’t just limited to poinsettias, however. Ferns and pine cones are what fall is all about and well, all you need to do is walk out to your backyard and pick out your favorite greens!
2. Go Thrifting: Thrift store shopping has become a favorite holiday activity. And while I agree some things have to be brand new, but if you’re willing to spend some time searching, you’re bound to find some really great household items such as dressers, tables, chairs and lamps. Thrift store finds can be easy on the pocket and you might be able to walk away with some really great finds.
3. Upcycle wooden pallets: I love the versatility of wooden pallets. There’s just so much you can do with them. Turn them into planters. Use them to make magazine or wine bottle holders. Your options are endless and if you’re handy with your tools, there’s nothing like it. Just the other day, DH fashioned a swing-set- a swing-set with old wooden pallets. We decorated it with pillows from yours truly and we were golden!
4. Layer it up: Fall and the holidays are all about getting warm and snuggly by the fire and a great way to give your home a holiday makeover is bring in the layers. Replace the blanket on the couch by a warm fleece throw. Shag rugs and burlap table runners are great for fall décor and absolute favorites for when you want to instantly spruce up a space. Here, at The Home Centric, we make a whole bunch of soft home furnishings for just about any mood or decorating style so if you’re looking for something particularly festive, you know where you’ll find it!
5. It’s all about the heat: One word- candles. You can’t have fall or the holidays without candles in every shape, fragrance and size. They’re also incredibly affordable and very versatile. Place them in jars and decorate them with pine cones or wrap them in cinnamon sticks- your choices are endless.
Happy holidays, everybody! Make it special.